Grant Reduction Process: ASES, 21st CCLC, and ASES Programs
This post contains information on the grant reduction process for the After School Education and Safety, 21st Century Community Learning Centers, and 21st Century High School After School Safety and Enrichment for Teens (ASSETs) Programs.
A grant reduction process is required by the California Education Code (EC) sections 8483.7 and 8483.76, effective July 1, 2019. Attached to this post is the Grant Award Reduction Process with examples.
- Per EC sections 8483.7 © (ii) and (D) (ii), frontier sites will only be reduced if their attendance falls below 65 percent of its targeted attendance level in two consecutive calendar years or below 55 percent in the most recent calendar year.
- If a grant recipient wants to reduce a program site down to zero and relinquish their grant funding for that site, they may submit a Voluntary Reduction of Grant Award form to the California Department of Education (CDE) by February 15, 2019, to be effective July 1, 2019.
- If your program needs to reduce lower than the designated grant amount, please contact your regional analyst for support.
- For all programs receiving a reduction, the new funding level will be set at the most recent calendar year percentage level attained plus an additional 15 percent cushion for growth.
- The 75 percent attendance reduction rule applies to school sites in the most current calendar year, including the first calendar year for newly awarded sites.
Timeline for Reductions Process
- January 31, 2019: Attendance data reporting is due to the CDE, Expanded Learning Division (EXLD) for the July 1–December 31, 2018 attendance data reporting period.
- February 15, 2019: The Voluntary Reduction of Grant Award form is due to the CDE. Due date extensions beyond this date will not be granted.
- March 4–March 15, 2019: Data is compiled, attendance analysis completed, and involuntary grant reductions computed by the CDE.
- March 18–March 22, 2019: Grant recipients are notified of grant reduction amounts. Revisions to attendance data or computations will only be considered within one week of the email notice in the following circumstances:
- Incorrect attendance data was submitted by the grantee.
- On an ASSETs Program original grant application, a higher than $10 per student, per day cost was justified.
- July 1, 2019: Effective date of involuntary and voluntary grant reductions.
Important: Revisions to attendance data or computations beyond March 30, 2019, will not be granted in order for the CDE to meet the statutory requirements for notification of new grant awards.
If you have any questions, please contact your Fiscal Analyst. Contact information can be found on the CDE’s EXLD Regional Technical Assistance Contacts web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ba/cp/regntwrkcontacts.asp, or you can contact the EXLD by phone at 916-319-0923.