STEAM Newsletter – Engineers and The Great Outdoors
June 28, 2022
For the month of June, the Million Girls Moonshot and all of its partners celebrate the amazing work that women engineers around the world are doing to support lives and livelihoods every day. This month, we are highlighting resources that program providers and others can utilize to profile the best, brightest and bravest women in engineering, the inventors and innovators who dare to be part of the solution and are helping to build towards a brighter future!
Summer is a great time to cultivate this STEM mindset, explore these additional resources on activities you can integrate into your programs this summer:
- 11 Engaging STEM Activities for Children that will Foster Curiosity via Rasmussen University
- 75 Fun and Creative STEM Activities for Kids via TeachingExpertise
To learn more about Million Girls Moonshot and their vision, you can visit their website.
Survey: Let’s show the nation how CA does STEM in afterschool!
Deadline: Thursday, June 30, 2022
Every state is asking afterschool and summer programs to share more about how they do STEM. Please join this important effort! Your answers will help Million Girls Moonshot better understand how they can best support afterschool and summer programs statewide. The survey should take 5-10 minutes to complete.
Everyone who responds will be entered into a drawing to win one of ten $100 Visa gift cards.
ACRES July Cohort: Asking Purposeful Questions
July 26, August 9, 23, 2022; 7:00 - 9:00am PST
Questions are the beginning of a path towards discovery, imagination, and STEM exploration. How can we help youth expand and clarify their thinking and develop their reasoning through the questions we ask them? This module is designed for educators who have some experience facilitating STEM learning and would like to grow in their practice within a supportive group of other educators.
Registration for the 2022 STEAM Symposium is now OPEN!
October 1-2, 2022; Anaheim, CA
The California STEAM Symposium is celebrating a return to in-person on our 10th anniversary at the Anaheim Convention Center North in Anaheim, California, October 1-2, 2022.
Author Highlight: Joy James and Black Inventors
Equity & Inclusion
Representation Matters! Read WeRepStem’s article on Joy James, an author who wrote the children’s book 101 Brilliant Black Inventors and their Inventions to celebrate Black innovation and inspire youth.
IF/THEN Ambassadors – June
Incorporating Role Models
The IF/THEN® Collection is the largest free resource of its kind dedicated to increasing access to authentic and relatable images of real women in STEM. Explore the amazing engineers and ambassadors being highlighted for June:
Mizzen by Mott
The Mizzen By Mott app delivers inspiring and engaging activities that spark learning in young people. Supported by the Mott Foundation, Mizzen is available at no cost to afterschool professionals! Encourage partners to download the Mizzen By Mott app to access STEM activities at your finger-touch!
Featured Activities & Playlists
- Playlist: STEM Activities for K-5th Grade in Small Groups – This playlist is a great mix of engineering and science activities that are easy and fun for small groups of students.
- Playlist: Science Notebooks for 3rd – 12th Grade – Keeping a notebook can help your students think and act like scientists and engineers. Sample these easy-to-implement strategies and lessons to bring science notebooking into your program.
- Module: S.INQ Up Earth and Space for 6-8th Grade – Earth and Space is an inquiry and exploration-based curriculum that uses hands-on activities focused on the relationships between the earth, the solar system, and human impacts on our global environment.
Check Out CAN’s Other Newsletters!
Access the CAN newsletter archives to view past newsletters today! You may be interested in some of our other newsletters as well: