Webinar – Enhancing SEL through Physical Activity
Wednesday, April 24, 2019; 10:00 - 11:30 AM
This webinar, hosted by the California AfterSchool Network and Skillastics, looks at how social and emotional learning (SEL) enhances students’ capacity to integrate skills, attitudes, and behaviors to deal effectively and ethically with daily tasks and challenges.
A physical active environment is the ideal place to enhance these
skills. Whether achieving a personal best in the mile run,
competing on a successful team, or dropping a catch during a key
play – these are all situations where social emotional learning
come in to play.
This webinar expands on the importance of enhancing SEL through physical activity. It will focus on the 5 Core Competencies of SEL and how they are highlighted in many examples of Expanded Learning physical activity lessons.
It also features case studies from 3 prominent Expanded Learning programs throughout the state. Each program will share their experiences on how focusing and developing SEL in physical activity has improved their Expanded Learning program.
- Sandy Slade, President/Founder, Skillastics
- Heather Williams, Program Director, California AfterSchool Network (Moderator)
- Expanded Learning Program Providers
- Carl Grino, Program Specialist, San Bernardino City USD, CAPS
- Gayle Hui, Program Supervisor, Arvin Schools
- Monica Gonzalez-Williams, Region 3, County Lead
- Gain a better understanding of the 5 Core Competencies of SEL and how they align with physical activity.
- Learn how simple and easy it is to implement more physical activity into their program.
- Learn from their peers the importance of focusing on SEL through physical activity will help improve their program.
Program Directors, Site Coordinators, and Expanded Learning Physical Activity Leaders
Every participant will receive a handout including the 10 physical activities discussed on the webinar. These activities can be implemented immediately into your program.