Webinar – Partnering with Expanded Learning to Reduce Chronic Absenteeism
Thursday, August 22, 2019; 10:00 AM
This webinar, hosted by the California AfterSchool Network and Attendance Works, looks at how high quality Expanded Learning programs (before and after school, summer, and intersession learning experiences) help reduce chronic absenteeism.
- what chronic absence is and why it matters,
- how California incorporates chronic absence into its funding and accountability systems, and
- how high quality Expanded Learning programs are an evidence-based strategy to reduce chronic absenteeism.
You will hear from Sacramento City Unified School District about their attendance efforts and intentional strategies within Expanded Learning to engage students who need support, resulting in increased attendance in school and after school.
We will share resources and next steps for Expanded Learning programs that wish to intentionally focus on chronic absenteeism and for stakeholders that wish to develop partnerships between the core instructional day and the Expanded Learning program – to keep students attending school and meaningfully engaged after school – ultimately reducing chronic absenteeism.
- Hedy Chang, Executive Director, Attendance Works
- Jeff Davis, Executive Director, California AfterSchool Network
- Staci Wendt, Senior Research Associate, WestEd
- Marcus Strother, Director, Youth Development Support Services, Sacramento City Unified School District
- Onniel Sanchez, Be HERE Grant Supervisor, Sacramento City Unified School District
- Heather Williams, Program Director, California AfterSchool Network (Moderator)
- Attendance Awareness Month Website
- Attendance Works: Self-Assessments
- Attendance Works: Expanded Learning Self-Assessment
- Building a Culture of Attendance: Schools and Afterschool Programs Together Can and Should Make a Difference
- Data Tools
- Using Incentives
- Rural Resources – CDE Expanded Learning Frontier Transportation Grants
- Rural Resources – Tribal Attendance Pilot Projects
- Still have questions? Email Heather