After School Education and Safety (ASES) and ASES Frontier Transportation Grant Renewal
The ASES grantees listed under renewal Cycle C, will have the opportunity to apply for renewal for another three-year period, consistent with California Education Code (EC)Section 8483.7(a)(1)(A). There are two parts to this process, (1) submit a current ASES Program Plan and (2) submit the ASES renewal application.
Current grantees may verify the grant cycle of their program on the California Department of Education’s (CDE’s) ASES Grant Renewal Cycles web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ex/asesrenewalcycles.asp.
Cycle C Renewal Due Dates
ASES Program Plan: December 8, 2020, by email
ASES Renewal Application: January 20, 2021, by email
ASES Program Plan
The ASES Program Plan must be developed through a collaborative process that includes parents, youth, representatives of participating public-school sites, governmental agencies (such as city and county parks and recreation departments), local law enforcement, community organizations, and the private sector (EC Section 8482.5[b]). Grantees must develop an ASES Program Plan that is available for onsite review (EC Section 8482.3[g]). The Expanded Learning Division (EXLD) must be notified if the program goals or outcome measures are changed during the grant period (EC Section 8482.3[g][E]).In light of the current pandemic situation, the CDE recognizes that any collaborative efforts in the development and revision(s) the program plan may need to be modified and as such, the CDE will review and approve this document with a flexible perspective.
A Program Plan Guide is available for grantees on the CDE Reporting and Forms web page at ASES Program Plan Guide. The Program Plan includes, but is not limited to, program goals, program content, and any other information requested by the CDE. Grantees are required to use the program plan guide and provide a narrative description in response to the prompts listed under each Quality Standard section. The Program Plan must be submitted—as part of the ASES renewal process—and reviewed by the grantee every three years (EC Section 8482.3[g]). The ASES grantees shall maintain documentation of the ASES Program Plan for a minimum of five years, after the conclusion of the program (EC Section 8482.3[g][F]).
Submitting the Program Plan
ASES grantees must submit the completed ASES Program Plan six-weeks prior to the ASES renewal application deadline. Grantees must submit an electronic copy of the ASES Program Plan to the EXLD by email at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Tuesday, December 8, 2020. Please include your agency name, grant identification, and ASES Renewal Program Plan on the subject line of the email submission. The program plan can be sent as an attachment to the email or in a google docs format with a shared link.
ASES Renewal Application
The After School Support and Information System (ASSIST) online system is used to create the necessary forms for the ASES Renewal Cycle C application. The ASSIST forms will be auto-populated with the grantee’s data about the current ASES grant. Please refer to the ASES renewal application instructions below.
Renewal Application Instructions
1. Log on to ASSIST at ASSIST Data Base using your secure login information.
2. Click on the ASES Renewal link or select the Agency Reports link at the top of the page.
3. Using the Reports/ASES Renewal drop down menu, select only the forms labeled ASES Grant Renewal.
4. Forms to be printed for submission:
- ASES Grant Renewal Cover Page
- ASES Grant Renewal List of Schools Operating
- ASES Grant Renewal Signatures and Approvals
- ASES Grant Renewal Offsite Program Information (if applicable)
- ASES Grant Renewal Checklist
5. Forms to be printed to keep on file:
- ASES Grant Renewal Assurances
6. Select the name of the form to be printed from the Reports/ASES Renewal drop-down menu, click on the Create Report button.
7. Use the Report Viewer window to review the information contained in the form.
8. Click the Export (floppy disk/save icon) link. Forms downloaded in PDF format are not meant to be edited. If contacts are incorrect, please correct them in the 2020–21 ASES grant record under the Contacts button. Re-download to view updated information. Forms downloaded in Microsoft Excel format are meant to be filled out manually (if applicable).
9. Obtain all required signatures (if the Principal or Superintendent information is incorrect, cross out and write in the correct name). Please contact the district’s County-District-School coordinator to update the information. We will accept scanned signatures or electronic signatures on all signature required documents.
Submitting the Renewal Application
A complete application should include the ASES Grant Renewal forms as outlined on the ASES Grant Renewal Checklist form located in ASSIST. The ASES Grant Renewal application packet can be downloaded and converted to PDF version for e-signatures or downloaded, printed for hardcopy signatures and then scanned to be sent as an attachment. Grantees must submit the signed ASES Grant Renewal Application packet to the EXLD by email at email@example.com by Wednesday, January 20, 2021. Please include your agency name, grant identification number, and “ASES Renewal Application packet” on the subject line of the email submission.
If you have questions regarding this subject, please send an email to the EXLD at firstname.lastname@example.org.