Important CDE Updates
Important updates from the California Department of Education Expanded Learning Division (EXLD) regarding:
- Survey-Identifying 21st CCLC and ASSETs Programs Charging Fees
- ASES Universal Final Intent to Award
- ASES Frontier Final Intent to Award
Survey-Identifying 21st CCLC and ASSETs Programs Charging Fees
We have recently been notified by the U.S. Department of Education that 21st Century Community Learning Center (CCLC) grantees must deduct any fees collected (i.e.- registration fees, family fees, application fees, etc.) from the grant amount received by the California Department of Education (CDE) unless they receive prior approval. To be clear, it is not the intent of the CDE to deduct the amount collected in fees from the grant amount. However, we need to know which grantees are collecting fees, in order to submit a request to the U.S. Department of Education to waive this requirement.
What do you need to do?
- All 21st CCLC grantees must complete the Google Survey below to indicate if they are charging fees, and if so, provide more information. This survey needs to be completed by Friday, July 31, 2020.
- If you have more than one 21st CCLC or 21st Century High School After School Safety and Enrichment for Teens grant, please complete a survey for each Grant Identification Number.
- CDE—Program Income for 21st Century Community Learning Centers grantees Survey
- If you have any questions, please contact your Regional Education Programs Consultant
ASES Universal Final Intent to Award
The Expanded Learning Division (EXLD) is pleased to announce the posting of the Final Intent to Award for the After School Education and Safety (ASES) Program located on the California Department of Education’s (CDE) web site located at Funding Results: After School Education and Safety (CA Dept of Education)
The Final Intent to Award list shows only new funding awarded through funds available for the ASES Universal 2020–21 Request for Application (RFA). Current ASES grantees and grantees listed within the ASES Renewal process will not appear on this funding list.
Each year, the EXLD holds back reserve funding until all appeals have been exhausted. Due to the availability of reserve funding, the EXLD was able to fund additional sites based on their Free and Reduced-Price Meal percentage (FRPM). Those sites are listed on the Final Intent to Award posting. These grant awards are made contingent on the allocation of state funds to the State of California.
The ASES grant awards are based on the FRPM percentage of the applicant sites. For this final intent to award, the lowest FRPM percentage of the funded sites was 92.09%.
ASES Frontier Final Intent to Award
The EXLD is pleased to announce the posting of the Final Intent to Award for the After School Education and Safety (ASES) Frontier Transportation Grant. The award list is located on the California Department of Education’s website at RFA: ASES Frontier Transportation Grant (CA Dept of Education).
The purpose of the ASES Frontier Transportation Grant is to provide supplemental funding for existing ASES grantees that have transportation needs due to their after school program site being located in Frontier Areas as specified in California Education Code Section 8483.7(a)(5). The Intent to Award list represents one site applying for funds totaling $15,000.00.
Congratulations to all award winners, and best wishes for your program in 2020–21!
To help implement a successful, high-quality program, please access the CDE links below:
- ASES Frequently Asked Questions document located at https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ex/documents/asestwentyfirstassests.docx.
- ASES Reporting Due Dates web page located at https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ex/asesduedates.asp.
- Laws and Policy web page located at https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ex/lawsandpolicy.asp.
- ASES Universal RFA web page located at https://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/fo/r27/ases20rfa.asp.
- ASES Education Code web page located at http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=EDC&division=1.&title=1.&part=6.&chapter=2.&article=22.5.&op_statues=2001&op_chapter=545)&op_section=4.
- Quality Standards and Continuous Quality Improvement web page located at https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ex/qualstandcqi.asp.
If your program needs any support, please contact your System of Support for Expanded Learning contact located on the CDE’s website at https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ex/sosexplearncontacts.asp.