Access a PDF of CAN’s Lights On Afterschool
Resources to Help Plan Your Event
Social Media, Images, and Graphics
Academic &Youth Development Themes
Afterschool Staff Appreciation
- Despite the uncertainty and challenges of this year,
afterschool programs rose to the moment – supporting students &
families by providing needed meals, childcare for essential
workers, and high-quality virtual learning experiences when
schools were forced to close.
- On October 28, we’re helping to shine a light on the
important role of afterschool programs in our CA
communities - and you can too!
More than 70% of students in #STEM
afterschool programs reported positive gains in science career
interest and knowledge & building skills such as perseverance
and critical thinking.
- Data science, creative computing, environmental
education—STEM learning is happening in afterschool. Let’s
- #LightsOnAfterschool is a chance for the whole community to
learn about STEM! Afterschool programs in California held a
“Physics of Mini Golf” festival where youth designed their own
mini-golf courses and explored physics subjects like force,
friction, and Newton’s Laws!
- Use your open house to open minds! #LightsOnAfterschool is a
chance to showcase STEM activities to the whole community, from
making slime to building circuitry and beyond.
- Host a yoga night, play mindfulness games, or encourage
students to write essays about the changes they hope to see in
- Hosting a #LightsOnAfterschool event is a great way to
encourage students to build on their social and emotional skills
while bringing awareness to the impact afterschool makes in our
- High-quality #SEL-focused afterschool programs offer students
an opportunity to build on critical social and emotional skills
in an engaging setting with fun activities and caring adult
mentors. Help us celebrate all that afterschool programs do to
help students be the best versions of themselves by hosting an
SEL-themed Lights On event!
- Afterschool and summer learning programs offer a unique
setting where youth can connect to positive adult mentors, feel
safe to try new things, and have the opportunity to build
critical #SEL skills. Raise awareness for #SEL in afterschool by
hosting an SEL themed Lights On event
Health & Wellness
- Afterschool programs keep kids safe & promote positive habits
during the hours they are most at risk of engaging in risky
behaviors. Help amplify their impact with #LightsOnAfterschool
- From nutritious meals to team-building physical activity,
afterschool programs promote health & wellness in tons of ways!
Show your support and get active for #LightsOnAfterschool this
- The possibilities are endless: host a fun run or walk-a-thon,
play a game (or three!) of kickball, or create your own
mini-Olympics with cornhole, soccer, touch football, and more!
- Town Halls: Afterschool provides youth with the
opportunity to connect with their voice and pursue the change
they wish to see in their community. Join us & 1M Americans for
#LightsOnAfterschool and shine the spotlight on your students
- Showcase Youth Work and Projects
- Youth are key to community change. Shine a light on students
in your community by featuring youth voice during
#LightsOnAfterschool, America’s only nationwide showcase of
afterschool. It’s a great opportunity for youth leaders to take
center stage and share what’s important to them.