Lights on Afterschool
Join the Celebration!
Join CAN and thousands of communities in celebrating and rallying for afterschool programs as the Afterschool Alliance organizes the 22nd annual Lights On Afterschool! This nationwide event, taking place in October of 2021, calls attention to the importance of afterschool programs and the resources required to keep the lights on and the doors open, especially as programs step up to help students, families, and communities in the pandemic. We are proud to be a Lights On Afterschool partner!
Too many children—24.6 million—are missing out on afterschool opportunities. Participate in Lights On Afterschool and help call attention to this important issue. Lights On Afterschool is a project of the Afterschool Alliance, a nonprofit public awareness and advocacy organization working to ensure that all children and youth have access to quality afterschool programs.
- Celebrate and call attention to your program and the work in your community!
- Showcase programming and youth in action to community leaders!
- Opportunity for Youth, Family, and Community engagement!
- Educate stakeholders and elected officials!
- Build awareness of OST and youth development in your community!
- Highlight need for resources
- Celebrate and build and nurture
Lights On Afterschool Event Tips
- Register Your Event Today! Sign up today to be part of the Lights On Afterschool celebration! All who register will receive event planning tip emails and 10 free posters to promote your event.
- Once registered, you will receive a Lights On Afterschool Planning Kit - Includes everything you need to plan a successful event, from case studies to sample materials, media, etc.
Last-Minute Ways to Celebrate Lights On Afterschool!
Searching for last-minute ways to celebrate Lights On Afterschool? Join the Lights On Afterschool Lightbulb Challenge! Participation is simple:
- Take a photo of yourself, students in your program, or even teachers and parents mimicking our Lights On Afterschool logo.
- Post your photos to social media with the hashtags #LightbulbChallenge and #LightsOnAfterschool.
- Challenge your followers to do the same! Tag the programs and people you’d like to see participate in the #LightbulbChallenge.
- Afterschool Alliance website - Additional information, inspiration, and promotional materials.
- Sign-Up your LOA Event: Sign Up for Lights on Afterschool!
- Event Planning Timeline: Lights On Afterschool Event Planning Timeline
- Tips for engaging Policymakers
- Proclamation Tools
- Light up a landmark: Tips for securing a lighting in your community!
- Social Media Tools
- Lightbulb Challenge
- Lights on Afterschool graphics, promo items, and artwork