Instructional Aide Requirements
What are the minimum requirements for an IA in Expanded Learning?
Based on statutory requirements staff must:
Meet the minimum qualifications for an IA aide as prescribed by District policies:
- Educational qualifications for IAs shall be prescribed by the school district employer and shall be appropriate to the responsibilities to be assigned; and
- Demonstrate proficiency in reading, writing, and mathematics skills up to or exceeding that required by the employing district for high school seniors.
- LEAs have the flexibility to revise their district policy.
- LEAs can create an Instructional Aide Classification and/or Exam to better measure the qualifications and competencies of Expanded Learning candidates.
Do IAs in Expanded Learning need to meet the Title I, IA requirements?
No. Staff members who must meet the minimum requirements for an IA do not need to meet the requirements outlined under EC Section 45330(c), which outline additional requirements for paraprofessionals employed by LEA’s and that are compensated in part or in whole by Title I Funds.
For more details access CDE’s ELO-P FAQs: https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ex/elofaq.asp
References & Additional Resources
- FAQs on Work Permits for Youth
- ELO-P Staffing Requirements: California Education Code (CEC) Section 46120 (b)(2)(D)
- ASES Staffing Requirements: CEC Section 8483.4