STEAM Newsletter – Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month!
September 20, 2022
It is Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15 – October 15)! Representation is crucial to helping students feel like they belong. To help students see themselves with a future in STEM and to broaden their understanding of science history, Million Girls Moonshot has compiled a multitude of resources that focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, we are highlighting a few of the Hispanic and Latinx scientists and engineers who made (and are making) important contributions to science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). Throughout the newsletter, we also share useful resources for program providers.
Explore other resources on how you can celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month in your program:
CAN is excited to present at the 2022 STEAM Symposium in Anaheim, CA!
- Are you looking for intentional ways to expand your STEAM offerings in your school or community? Join our Workshop, “ELOP = STEAM,” and learn how!
- Did you know that women make up half of the total U.S. college-educated workforce, but less than one-third of the science and engineering workforce, and Latinx and African-American women make up less than 3%? Attend our workshop, “Million Girls Moonshot: Free Resources and Professional Development to Promote Equity in STEAM,” and join the movement!
The K-12 Computer Science Framework was designed to guide LEAs with the development of standards and curriculum as well as build capacity for teachers.
The framework includes 5 core concepts and 7 core practices aimed at achieving their vision of providing all students with the opportunity to engage in computer science.
Looking for a fun, free curriculum to help your students develop computer science skills and explore engineering? Sign up for Engineer for the Week (EFTW)!
Over the course of 15 to 20 hours, learners build tech prototypes that address a social issue of their choice. Upon completing the program, learners will understand how to use the engineering process, discover that everyone has the power to develop solutions for social good and know that engineers come from diverse backgrounds.
Leveraging Collective Impact to Support STEM Programs and Resources
Thursday, September 29, 2022; 12:00 - 1:00 PM PST
Join National Girls Collaborative Project’s (NGCP) upcoming webinar! Learn how NGCP and other organizations leverage collective impact in order to provide the opportunity for programs to increase their ability to maintain interest and participation of girls in STEM through collaboration.
Hear from a dynamic panel of speakers on strategies for successful STEM collaborations and how to nurture and scale effective STEM learning opportunities for all young people.
The IF/THEN® Collection is the largest free resource of its kind dedicated to increasing access to authentic and relatable images of real women in STEM. Explore the ambassadors being highlighted for Hispanic Heritage Month!
STEM can spark a curiosity in children that can inspire a lasting love of learning. Interest may come from a hands-on science investigation, a role model who codes for good causes, or words of encouragement from a teacher or afterschool instructor. Learn about five ideas to spark family engagement in your program and community.
The Mizzen By Mott app delivers inspiring and engaging activities that spark learning in young people. Supported by the Mott Foundation, Mizzen is available at no cost to afterschool professionals! Encourage partners to download the Mizzen By Mott app to access STEM activities at your finger-touch!
Featured Activities & Playlists
- Playlist: STEM Activities for K-5th Grade in Small Groups – This playlist is a great mix of engineering and science activities that are easy and fun for small groups of students.
- Playlist: Science Notebooks for 3rd – 12th Grade – Keeping a notebook can help your students think and act like scientists and engineers. Sample these easy-to-implement strategies and lessons to bring science notebooking into your program.
- Module: S.INQ Up Earth and Space for 6-8th Grade – Earth and Space is an inquiry and exploration-based curriculum that uses hands-on activities focused on the relationships between the earth, the solar system, and human impacts on our global environment.