CAN Newsletter – #AllKidsSafeAndWell
October 13, 2022
October is National Bullying Prevention Month and focuses on raising awareness of bullying. During this month, many groups across the country will release new resources, campaigns, and efforts aimed at bringing awareness to the issue of bullying. As CA Expanded Learning and Out-of-School-Time programs work to transform schools and communities, we have the responsibility to educate ourselves and our teams about anti-bullying prevention and intervention.
The power of Social-Emotional Learning can nurture and foster a sense of belonging for young people in our programs, schools, and communities. Creating and maintaining environments that are inclusive of all children and youth can also contribute to combatting bullying. Lastly, high-quality youth development programs that focus on SEL, a Sense of Belonging, and provide include environments – all contribute to Protective Factors that help children, youth, families, and communities thrive!
- The Office of Adolescent Health, within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, has resources on healthy relationships in adolescence, including how adolescents and those who care about them can help prevent or stop bullying.
- StopBullying.gov, a special initiative from the Department of Health and Human Services, provides information and resources from government agencies on how to prevent, respond, and take action against bullying.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Striving To Reduce Youth Violence Everywhere (STRYVE) initiative provides communities with the knowledge and resources to prevent youth violence, including bullying.
CAN was at the 2022 STEAM Symposium!
Saturday, Oct. 1 and Sunday, Oct. 2, 2022
CAN presented and hosted a pre-conference at the 2022 STEAM Symposium in Anaheim, CA! Thank you to everyone who was able to join us!
If you weren’t able to make it to the 2022 STEAM Symposium, no problem! Explore workshop descriptions and resources from the sessions we hosted below:
California Expanded Learning Leadership Awards 2022; A Lights on Afterschool Celebration
Monday, October 17, 2022; 11 AM - 12 PM PST
The California AfterSchool Network, California Department of Education, and System of Support for Expanded Learning recognized and celebrated leaders across the state!
Watch the event and learn more about these incredible leaders and their work.
Save the Date for our FALL ELO-P Workshop!
Thursday, November 10, 2022; 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM PST
Additional Details and Registration Coming Soon!
October 2022 CDE Updates
The California Department of Education, Expanded Learning Division (EXLD) has four updates for grantees, programs, etc. Please click on the links below to learn more.
- FY 22-23 ASES Universal and ASES Frontier Final Intent to Award Posted - October 13, 2022
- Call for Grant Reviewers for 21st CCLCApplications – Due by October 14, 2022
- 21st Century Request for Applications: Cohort 14 - Deadline to Submit: Wednesday, November 16, 2022
- Fiscal Year 2021-2023 ESSER Summer Funding Intent to Award List - September 29, 2022
Supporting Social and Emotional Safety in the Classroom
Traumatic stress can have long-term health effects on developing brains and, in response, districts across the United States are acknowledging the role that trauma plays in students’ achievement opportunities. Learning for Justice has compiled resources to help educators learn how to recognize signs of trauma, and take steps to create a safe environment in the classroom for students.
A Multi-Tiered Approach to Family Engagement
No two families are alike, so why should schools’ approach to supporting families be cookie cutter? ASCD’s article explores the way that family engagement should be a multi-tiered approach in order to be an effective bridge in connecting students, families, and educators. The article explores the 3 tiers that make up effective family engagement as well as the roles families play in the dynamic.
Effective Communication for School Leaders: A Forum
Thursday, October 13, 2022; 11:00 AM - 1:30 PM PST
Education Week, sponsored by Lexia and Panorama Education, is hosting an online forum on how school and district leaders can motivate staff, make the most of social media, and more!
Thursday, October 13, 2022
11:00 AM -1:30 PM PST
Maintaining Bipartisan Support for Aterschool
Learning in Afterschool Blog
Learning in Afterschool Blog has created several resources to explore afterschool and the education culture war:
We Have a Job Board!
FREE Job Postings
Did you know that CAN has a job board? Explore after school job postings that have been submitted from the field, for the field.
If you would like to have a job posting shared on the job board, please submit through our Google Form.
Check Out Our Other Newsletters!
Access the CAN newsletter archives to view past newsletters today! You may be interested in some of our other newsletters as well:
CAN Health and Wellness Newsletters
- Get informed on the connections between afterschool and Whole Child Health and Wellness.
- Subscribe today!
CAN STEAM Newsletters
- Get informed about the Million Girl Moonshot project and access other STEAM resources.
- Subscribe today!