To provide high-quality Expanded Learning programs a high-quality workforce is essential. This section provides resources to support the recruitment and retention of high-quality staff
ELO-P Staffing Requirements
Staffing requirements for the Expanded Learning Opportunities Program (ELO-P) match those of the After School Education and Safety Program (ASES) except for the TK/K staffing ratio. A summary of the ELO-P staffing requirements:
- The administrator of every program shall establish minimum
qualifications for each staff position.
- Ensure at a minimum all staff members who directly supervise students meet the minimum qualifications for an instructional aide, pursuant to the policies of the school district.
- The selection of the program site coordinators/supervisors is subject to the approval of the school site principal.
- Maintains a student-to-staff member ratio of no more than 20
- Programs serving transitional kindergarten or kindergarten pupils shall maintain a student-to-staff member ratio of no more than 10 to 1.
- All program staff and volunteers shall be subject to the health screening and fingerprint clearance requirements in current law and district policy for school personnel and volunteers in the school district.
Instructional Aide Requirements
A number of questions about how the Instructional Aide(IA) requirements are applied to ELO-P have arisen recently. We are working with our partners to provide further clarity on this topic. In the meantime, you can access information about IA/paraprofessionals on the CDE website: https://www.cde.ca.gov/nclb/sr/tq/paraprofessionals.asp
- ELO-P Staffing Requirements: California Education Code (CEC) Section 46120 (b)(2)(D)
- ASES Staffing Requirements: CEC Section 8483.4